5 places to visit in Singapore if you only have a few days here
What comes to mind when you think of Singapore?
Perhaps its the movie ‘Crazy Rich Asians’, the tall buildings, the food, the heat, or the seemingly crazy laws we have over here that foreigners may deem to strict.
But Singapore offers more than just high-end shopping malls and food. There is also a vibrant history and rich, diverse ethnic quarters to discover, along with many family-friendly attractions and public spaces that make visiting this slightly futuristic city worthwhile.
So if you are visiting Singapore, here are some of my personal recommendations on what you should see and do :
1. Gardens by the Bay
Singaporeans could’ve seen me suggesting this from a mile away. What is a visit to Singapore without visiting the gardens? Plus there’s a good chance You may have seen shots of the garden on your Instagram ‘explore’ page, or when you search the hashtag #singapore.
Gardens by the bay is every nature-lovers’ dreams. The 250-acre green haven is filled with huge, flora-wreathed towers connected by ‘skyways’ and two enormous conservatories.
Gardens by the bay was opened in 2012 by the Singapore government as part of a drive to bring more greenery into Singapore, aka project ‘City in the Garden’.
The gardens are free for guests to explore but you'll need an admission ticket for access to the flower domes that house rotating floral exhibitions.
2. Universal Studios Singapore
I’ve been here before and this is definitely a place you should check out while in Singapore. Plus, this theme park is located on Sentosa island, which is a small island to the south of Singapore that is popular with tourists. It gives you a chance to explore Sentosa and see for yourself the exciting attractions they have there.
Some notable and must try rides include :
Transformers: The Ride
Battlestar Galactica (try both RED and BLUE rides!!)
Jurassic Park Rapids Adventure (bring extra clothes to change into because you’ll be soaked!)
Revenge of the Mummy
3. Marina Bay Sands
Marina Bay Sands has 2,500 rooms, which is makes it the biggest hotel in Singapore.
Not only that, the 2,500 rooms at this hotel offer views of Marina Bay and the Singapore skyline, and is a favourite during the F1 Singapore Grand Prix.
However, your visit here is not complete unless you also visit the Marina Bay Sands SkyPark. Non-hotel guests have to pay ($23 for adults, $17 for children) to enjoy the breathtaking view of Singapore - but it’s definitely worth it!
But be wary though, that Instagram post of you atop the Marina Bay Sands SkyPark is sure to make your friends back home jealous.
4. Orchard Road
For shopaholics, this is one place you should not miss. Orchard Road is Singapore’s premier shopping belt, home to the top retail brands in the world. It is also over two kilometres long, and shopping malls line up both sides of the street, so be prepared to do some serious shopping. Oh, and get your cash/credit card ready as well because you’re gonna be using it alot.
‘Makan’ means eat in Malay, one of Singapore’s 4 main languages. It is also a word every Singaporean is familiar with, since eating is Singaporeans’ favourite past time. For food, I suggest going to local coffeeshops and food centres to try out local delights that you can only get here in Singapore (ok, and maybe some parts of Malaysia).
Some places you should try out :
- Adam Road Food Centre for local delights
- Chomp Chomp Food Centre for local delights
- Killiney Kopitiam for a local breakfast
- 328 Katong Laksa for local Laksa
- Karu’s Indian Banana Leaf Restaurant for Curry Fish Head
- Haron Satay for some delicious Satay (skewered, marinated meat grilled on open fire)
- Rochor Original Beancurd for beancurd tofu (trust me, it tastes a lot better than it sounds)
- Ah Seng Durian (for Durian obviously. Only try if you are adventurous with food)
- Thasevi Jalan Kayu Prata - for some of the best roti prata in Singapore
Just enter any of the above places in Google Maps/Waze and you’re good to go. Or you can also ask your friendly cab/grab/gojek driver on recommendations.
So that’s about the 5 places I would recommend you to try, if you are in Singapore. By visiting/doing these 5 things - you would have covered only about half of what Singapore has to offer, but still these are my top 5 picks for anyone new to the country.
- May 19, 2019 Audi wedding car rentals in Singapore May 19, 2019
- May 18, 2019 5 places to visit in Singapore if you only have a few days here May 18, 2019
- May 13, 2019 8 things to do on layover in Changi Airport May 13, 2019
- May 11, 2019 Jaguar wedding car rentals in Singapore May 11, 2019
- May 6, 2019 Costs associated with car ownership in Singapore May 6, 2019
- May 4, 2019 Turbocharger vs Supercharger - which is better? May 4, 2019
- May 1, 2019 4 places you never have, but should visit in Singapore May 1, 2019
- Apr 30, 2019 Dangerous driving in Singapore - What you should know Apr 30, 2019
- Apr 29, 2019 6 car washing tips Apr 29, 2019
- Apr 27, 2019 Car Rental Guide for the Festive Period Apr 27, 2019
- Apr 24, 2019 5 things to take note of when driving into Malaysia Apr 24, 2019
- Apr 22, 2019 What is a certified pre-owned car? Apr 22, 2019
- Apr 21, 2019 5 tips when driving at high speed Apr 21, 2019
- Apr 20, 2019 Important considerations before tuning your car Apr 20, 2019
- Apr 12, 2019 Wedding Car Rental Guide Apr 12, 2019
- Apr 11, 2019 5 signs that a secondhand car has been in an accident Apr 11, 2019
- Apr 8, 2019 8 brand new cars you can get in Singapore for under $80,000 (April 2019) Apr 8, 2019
- Apr 7, 2019 5 Typical Singaporean Driver Stereotypes Apr 7, 2019
- Apr 6, 2019 6 things to do if you get into a Traffic Accident in Singapore Apr 6, 2019
- Apr 4, 2019 5 amazing driver's cars Apr 4, 2019
- Apr 2, 2019 What makes a good driver? Apr 2, 2019
- Mar 28, 2019 7 Parking Courtesies You Should Practice Mar 28, 2019
- Mar 27, 2019 Guide on how to drive into Malaysia Mar 27, 2019
- Mar 26, 2019 Guide to Luxury Car Rentals in Singapore Mar 26, 2019
- Mar 25, 2019 5 road courtesy rules driving schools may not teach you Mar 25, 2019
- Mar 23, 2019 Which wedding car and decor suits you? Mar 23, 2019
- Mar 20, 2019 5 most popular self drive wedding cars in Singapore Mar 20, 2019
- Mar 19, 2019 5 Most Popular Wedding Cars with Chauffeur in Singapore Mar 19, 2019
- Mar 18, 2019 Wedding cars : With Driver or Self Drive ? Mar 18, 2019
- Mar 12, 2019 Car Fires and How To Prevent Them Mar 12, 2019
- Mar 10, 2019 Why used cars can be a better choice Mar 10, 2019
- Mar 3, 2019 5 Useless Modifications For Your Car Mar 3, 2019
- Mar 2, 2019 Are Hybrid Cars Worth It? Mar 2, 2019
- Mar 1, 2019 Causes of road traffic accidents in Singapore Mar 1, 2019
- Feb 28, 2019 Buy a brand new car or a used car? Feb 28, 2019
- Feb 23, 2019 Harsher Penalties for Motorists in Singapore (for Serious Offences) Feb 23, 2019
- Feb 19, 2019 3 types of car insurance in Singapore Feb 19, 2019
- Feb 16, 2019 Do speed cameras really save lives? Feb 16, 2019
- Feb 15, 2019 5 ways to buy a car in Singapore Feb 15, 2019
- Feb 14, 2019 8 brand new cars you can get in Singapore for under $80,000 (feb 2019) Feb 14, 2019
- Feb 9, 2019 5 things new drivers in Singapore should know Feb 9, 2019
- Feb 7, 2019 List of Abbreviations that Singaporean drivers should know Feb 7, 2019
- Feb 6, 2019 What these 9 symbols on your car's dashboard mean Feb 6, 2019
- Feb 6, 2019 What to look out for when buying a used car Feb 6, 2019
- Feb 5, 2019 How to perform a pre-purchase inspection Feb 5, 2019
- Feb 4, 2019 4 optional extras on a car that you may actually want to pay for Feb 4, 2019
- Feb 3, 2019 5 most important parts of a car Feb 3, 2019
- Feb 2, 2019 6 Tips to help you improve fuel economy Feb 2, 2019
- Jan 30, 2019 6 in-car technologies you need to know Jan 30, 2019
- Jan 26, 2019 Choosing between petrol and diesel powered engines Jan 26, 2019
- Jan 26, 2019 The cars we liked from the Singapore Motor Show Jan 26, 2019
- Jan 23, 2019 4 Benefits of Tire Rotation and how often you should do it Jan 23, 2019
- Jan 19, 2019 3 Wedding Decor Ideas and Themes in Singapore Jan 19, 2019
- Jan 14, 2019 Airport Transfers – What they are and how to get one Jan 14, 2019
- Jan 11, 2019 Audi - Brand Overview - The brand with 4 rings Jan 11, 2019
- Jan 11, 2019 Cost of weddings has increased in Singapore Jan 11, 2019
- Jan 8, 2019 Budget Wedding Car Rentals in Singapore – 8 cars below SGD$400 for 5 hours Jan 8, 2019
- Dec 31, 2018 Porsche - Brand Overview - There is no substitute Dec 31, 2018
- Dec 26, 2018 BMW - Brand Overview - The Ultimate Driving Machine Dec 26, 2018