Important considerations before tuning your car
If you ever looked at another car and thought ‘I wished my car can go that fast’, or if you entertained the idea of modifying your car to increase its performance, then worry not - it’s a normal thought for many car owners. Even my friends who are not petrolheads, have asked if there is anything they can do to make their 79 horsepower Mitsubishi Attrage faster (sorry buddy, there’s not much we can do to that car, legally of course)
For others, it’s a way to make the way their car looks match up to the performance of the engine. Nobody would want to drive a car that looks like a type-r, but is about as fast as a school bus. So before you go out and modify your car to make it faster, here are some important considerations you should think about :
Of course, not all modifications have an insurance impact, especially cosmetic ones. However, if you are tuning the engine or adding a significant mod to make your car faster, there could be an insurance impact. This is because from an insurance company’s perspective, individuals driving modified cars tend to drive faster (the whole point of modifying your car was to make it faster anyway, right?), which can result in more severe injuries if an accident occurs.
Next, some modifications made to your car would contribute to its value. So in case your vehicle needs repairs, the repair cost will increase because of the parts/complexity, thus increasing the compensation rate that the insurance company would have to cover. In addition, a superbly modified car that looks sexy as hell is sure to attract more thieves as compared to a regular, stock car.
What does this mean for you? In a lot of cases, this means that your auto insurance premium may increase.
As such, it is important to consult your insurance company first before swiping your credit card for a modification. Best is to get a black and white note from your insurer that the modification you are intending to get will not affect your insurance. This way, you have proof of the approval in the event that your insurer goes back on their word. Further, it is always advisable to consult your insurer as auto insurance policies differ from company to company, and they may make your life harder by denying your claim if you modify your car without informing them. As a general rule of thumb, cosmetic changes typically do not require your insurer’s green light (e.g LED lights, bodykits, forged rims etc.)
For engine modifications, it is best to inform them as this will change the characteristics of the car.
2. Legal or not?
Be sure to talk to your mechanic, or get advice from other car owners and also the authorities (LTA) before making changes to your car, since not all modifications are legal. Here’s a page from LTA regarding car modifications.
For example, some rather trivial mods like tinting headlights, is actually illegal in Singapore. And we have all seen how some LTA officers check a car like a police dog sniffing a drug dealer. So it’s best to check with them on the mod you are planning to do.
3. How much ?
Modifications are not cheap. Well, it depends on what you’re doing actually. But - go in with the mindset that car modifications will cost you money, especially those that make your car faster. For mods dealing with the engine, it is best not to go for a low quality, cheap and shoddy part or tuning workshop as these questionable mods can affect your engine. In the worst case scenario, an engine overhaul is required and those do not come cheap.
It is always best to pay more to get a quality part, from a reputable brand and workshop so that you get a peace of mind. Opt for the best of the best.
4. How exactly will it affect my car?
Is the modification reversible? If it’s not, can I live with this ‘new’ car? Do understand fully what the tune will do and how it will affect your car and your day to day driving. Is fuel consumption affected? Are other parts of my car affected? Do I need to change any other part ? For example, if you are going for a stage 2 chip tune on your Volkswagen Golf GTI, can your current setup support the added power? Consider your brakes, tires, coilovers, fuel consumption etc.
At the end of the day, what’s most important is how happy you are with your newly modified car. As they say, cars are not measured in miles per gallon, but ‘smiles per gallon’. The best mods are those which are legal, approved by your insurer, and adds a huge smile to your face.
- May 19, 2019 Audi wedding car rentals in Singapore May 19, 2019
- May 18, 2019 5 places to visit in Singapore if you only have a few days here May 18, 2019
- May 13, 2019 8 things to do on layover in Changi Airport May 13, 2019
- May 11, 2019 Jaguar wedding car rentals in Singapore May 11, 2019
- May 6, 2019 Costs associated with car ownership in Singapore May 6, 2019
- May 4, 2019 Turbocharger vs Supercharger - which is better? May 4, 2019
- May 1, 2019 4 places you never have, but should visit in Singapore May 1, 2019
- Apr 30, 2019 Dangerous driving in Singapore - What you should know Apr 30, 2019
- Apr 29, 2019 6 car washing tips Apr 29, 2019
- Apr 27, 2019 Car Rental Guide for the Festive Period Apr 27, 2019
- Apr 24, 2019 5 things to take note of when driving into Malaysia Apr 24, 2019
- Apr 22, 2019 What is a certified pre-owned car? Apr 22, 2019
- Apr 21, 2019 5 tips when driving at high speed Apr 21, 2019
- Apr 20, 2019 Important considerations before tuning your car Apr 20, 2019
- Apr 12, 2019 Wedding Car Rental Guide Apr 12, 2019
- Apr 11, 2019 5 signs that a secondhand car has been in an accident Apr 11, 2019
- Apr 8, 2019 8 brand new cars you can get in Singapore for under $80,000 (April 2019) Apr 8, 2019
- Apr 7, 2019 5 Typical Singaporean Driver Stereotypes Apr 7, 2019
- Apr 6, 2019 6 things to do if you get into a Traffic Accident in Singapore Apr 6, 2019
- Apr 4, 2019 5 amazing driver's cars Apr 4, 2019
- Apr 2, 2019 What makes a good driver? Apr 2, 2019
- Mar 28, 2019 7 Parking Courtesies You Should Practice Mar 28, 2019
- Mar 27, 2019 Guide on how to drive into Malaysia Mar 27, 2019
- Mar 26, 2019 Guide to Luxury Car Rentals in Singapore Mar 26, 2019
- Mar 25, 2019 5 road courtesy rules driving schools may not teach you Mar 25, 2019
- Mar 23, 2019 Which wedding car and decor suits you? Mar 23, 2019
- Mar 20, 2019 5 most popular self drive wedding cars in Singapore Mar 20, 2019
- Mar 19, 2019 5 Most Popular Wedding Cars with Chauffeur in Singapore Mar 19, 2019
- Mar 18, 2019 Wedding cars : With Driver or Self Drive ? Mar 18, 2019
- Mar 12, 2019 Car Fires and How To Prevent Them Mar 12, 2019
- Mar 10, 2019 Why used cars can be a better choice Mar 10, 2019
- Mar 3, 2019 5 Useless Modifications For Your Car Mar 3, 2019
- Mar 2, 2019 Are Hybrid Cars Worth It? Mar 2, 2019
- Mar 1, 2019 Causes of road traffic accidents in Singapore Mar 1, 2019
- Feb 28, 2019 Buy a brand new car or a used car? Feb 28, 2019
- Feb 23, 2019 Harsher Penalties for Motorists in Singapore (for Serious Offences) Feb 23, 2019
- Feb 19, 2019 3 types of car insurance in Singapore Feb 19, 2019
- Feb 16, 2019 Do speed cameras really save lives? Feb 16, 2019
- Feb 15, 2019 5 ways to buy a car in Singapore Feb 15, 2019
- Feb 14, 2019 8 brand new cars you can get in Singapore for under $80,000 (feb 2019) Feb 14, 2019
- Feb 9, 2019 5 things new drivers in Singapore should know Feb 9, 2019
- Feb 7, 2019 List of Abbreviations that Singaporean drivers should know Feb 7, 2019
- Feb 6, 2019 What these 9 symbols on your car's dashboard mean Feb 6, 2019
- Feb 6, 2019 What to look out for when buying a used car Feb 6, 2019
- Feb 5, 2019 How to perform a pre-purchase inspection Feb 5, 2019
- Feb 4, 2019 4 optional extras on a car that you may actually want to pay for Feb 4, 2019
- Feb 3, 2019 5 most important parts of a car Feb 3, 2019
- Feb 2, 2019 6 Tips to help you improve fuel economy Feb 2, 2019
- Jan 30, 2019 6 in-car technologies you need to know Jan 30, 2019
- Jan 26, 2019 Choosing between petrol and diesel powered engines Jan 26, 2019
- Jan 26, 2019 The cars we liked from the Singapore Motor Show Jan 26, 2019
- Jan 23, 2019 4 Benefits of Tire Rotation and how often you should do it Jan 23, 2019
- Jan 19, 2019 3 Wedding Decor Ideas and Themes in Singapore Jan 19, 2019
- Jan 14, 2019 Airport Transfers – What they are and how to get one Jan 14, 2019
- Jan 11, 2019 Audi - Brand Overview - The brand with 4 rings Jan 11, 2019
- Jan 11, 2019 Cost of weddings has increased in Singapore Jan 11, 2019
- Jan 8, 2019 Budget Wedding Car Rentals in Singapore – 8 cars below SGD$400 for 5 hours Jan 8, 2019
- Dec 31, 2018 Porsche - Brand Overview - There is no substitute Dec 31, 2018
- Dec 26, 2018 BMW - Brand Overview - The Ultimate Driving Machine Dec 26, 2018