6 car washing tips
Some car owners are very a*** about keeping their cars clean (pardon the language! I couldn’t think of a better word).
I used to be like that in the past, but nowadays I can’t be too particular about how clean my car is due to the lack of time (and sometimes laziness). But like most car owners, I do get annoyed when I see dust and dirt gathering on my car.
On the other end, I have seen people taking care of their cars abit too much. For example, I have a neighbour who washes his car once every few days, by himself. For me, this is abit too hardcore, but to each his own I guess. To be fair, he is driving a brand new Jaguar XF.
If you are one of those car owners who is very very particular about keeping your car clean, then this article is for you. I’ll give you some tips on how to keep your car looking as good as it was when you first bought it :
1. Wash your car’s exterior once every 2 weeks
This is a good starting point for many. It doesn’t require too much commitment, nor will your car look like it’s been abandoned for months.
Washing your car’s exterior once every 2 weeks also helps you save money! By washing the exterior, you are getting rid of dust and dirt that may be acidic - such as bird droppings. Acidic matter can corrode your paint if they are left there. They can form chemical reactions to the car’s paint and break it down. When you wash your car, you are also in a way, protecting its paint from such corrosion.
2. Park under shelter
Ok, this may not be a car washing tip exactly, but it helps to extend the good condition of your car. Especially in Singapore where it can be sweltering hot in the day, parking under shelter does 2 things :
The ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun oxidises and fades your car’s paint and makes it look old and worn prematurely. It can also damage the rubberised trim when it gets too hot. By parking under the shade, you are preventing such things from happening to your car.
the car’s interior can also be damaged by the sun. Leather seats, the dashboard and other trimmings can age quickly when exposed to the sun. It can age the leather, dry out the natural oils in the leather and cause it to stiffen, dry or crack.
3. Use car cleaning tools
No, your mom’s rag isn’t a car cleaning tool. There’s a reason why car cleaning tools exist - because they help to protect your car. For example, microfibre cloth should be used when cleaning a car, because they are softer than the usual cloth you use at home. This will help to protect the car’s paint as it won’t scratch it as they are gentle enough.
4. Your car’s interior is also very important
It’s very anti-climax if the exterior of your car looks good, but the interior looks old and worn. You don’t feel good driving it.
Vacuum the interior of your car regularly, and check for any leftover food etc. This is to prevent pests like cockroaches from being attracted to your car. The worst thing is having a date enter your car only to have a cockroach ruin the day, or a cockroach crawling up your feet as you are driving. Yikes!
5. Rinse the car first before washing
You won’t put soap on your body without rinsing first, right? Similarly, you should do the same for your car. Rinsing your car with water will help to wash away any debris that can scratch your car as you wash it with a cloth. Also, applying the soap without rinsing it first just feels weird.
6. Don’t forget the wheels !
Your wheels can make or break your car’s look. Set aside a sponge just for washing your rims and wheels because they are usually the dirtiest part of the car. And don’t just wash the outer part ! Remember to get deeper in as brake dust gathers near the brake callipers. Too much dust and dirt can also affect braking performance, so those should be dust free as well.
- May 19, 2019 Audi wedding car rentals in Singapore May 19, 2019
- May 18, 2019 5 places to visit in Singapore if you only have a few days here May 18, 2019
- May 13, 2019 8 things to do on layover in Changi Airport May 13, 2019
- May 11, 2019 Jaguar wedding car rentals in Singapore May 11, 2019
- May 6, 2019 Costs associated with car ownership in Singapore May 6, 2019
- May 4, 2019 Turbocharger vs Supercharger - which is better? May 4, 2019
- May 1, 2019 4 places you never have, but should visit in Singapore May 1, 2019
- Apr 30, 2019 Dangerous driving in Singapore - What you should know Apr 30, 2019
- Apr 29, 2019 6 car washing tips Apr 29, 2019
- Apr 27, 2019 Car Rental Guide for the Festive Period Apr 27, 2019
- Apr 24, 2019 5 things to take note of when driving into Malaysia Apr 24, 2019
- Apr 22, 2019 What is a certified pre-owned car? Apr 22, 2019
- Apr 21, 2019 5 tips when driving at high speed Apr 21, 2019
- Apr 20, 2019 Important considerations before tuning your car Apr 20, 2019
- Apr 12, 2019 Wedding Car Rental Guide Apr 12, 2019
- Apr 11, 2019 5 signs that a secondhand car has been in an accident Apr 11, 2019
- Apr 8, 2019 8 brand new cars you can get in Singapore for under $80,000 (April 2019) Apr 8, 2019
- Apr 7, 2019 5 Typical Singaporean Driver Stereotypes Apr 7, 2019
- Apr 6, 2019 6 things to do if you get into a Traffic Accident in Singapore Apr 6, 2019
- Apr 4, 2019 5 amazing driver's cars Apr 4, 2019
- Apr 2, 2019 What makes a good driver? Apr 2, 2019
- Mar 28, 2019 7 Parking Courtesies You Should Practice Mar 28, 2019
- Mar 27, 2019 Guide on how to drive into Malaysia Mar 27, 2019
- Mar 26, 2019 Guide to Luxury Car Rentals in Singapore Mar 26, 2019
- Mar 25, 2019 5 road courtesy rules driving schools may not teach you Mar 25, 2019
- Mar 23, 2019 Which wedding car and decor suits you? Mar 23, 2019
- Mar 20, 2019 5 most popular self drive wedding cars in Singapore Mar 20, 2019
- Mar 19, 2019 5 Most Popular Wedding Cars with Chauffeur in Singapore Mar 19, 2019
- Mar 18, 2019 Wedding cars : With Driver or Self Drive ? Mar 18, 2019
- Mar 12, 2019 Car Fires and How To Prevent Them Mar 12, 2019
- Mar 10, 2019 Why used cars can be a better choice Mar 10, 2019
- Mar 3, 2019 5 Useless Modifications For Your Car Mar 3, 2019
- Mar 2, 2019 Are Hybrid Cars Worth It? Mar 2, 2019
- Mar 1, 2019 Causes of road traffic accidents in Singapore Mar 1, 2019
- Feb 28, 2019 Buy a brand new car or a used car? Feb 28, 2019
- Feb 23, 2019 Harsher Penalties for Motorists in Singapore (for Serious Offences) Feb 23, 2019
- Feb 19, 2019 3 types of car insurance in Singapore Feb 19, 2019
- Feb 16, 2019 Do speed cameras really save lives? Feb 16, 2019
- Feb 15, 2019 5 ways to buy a car in Singapore Feb 15, 2019
- Feb 14, 2019 8 brand new cars you can get in Singapore for under $80,000 (feb 2019) Feb 14, 2019
- Feb 9, 2019 5 things new drivers in Singapore should know Feb 9, 2019
- Feb 7, 2019 List of Abbreviations that Singaporean drivers should know Feb 7, 2019
- Feb 6, 2019 What these 9 symbols on your car's dashboard mean Feb 6, 2019
- Feb 6, 2019 What to look out for when buying a used car Feb 6, 2019
- Feb 5, 2019 How to perform a pre-purchase inspection Feb 5, 2019
- Feb 4, 2019 4 optional extras on a car that you may actually want to pay for Feb 4, 2019
- Feb 3, 2019 5 most important parts of a car Feb 3, 2019
- Feb 2, 2019 6 Tips to help you improve fuel economy Feb 2, 2019
- Jan 30, 2019 6 in-car technologies you need to know Jan 30, 2019
- Jan 26, 2019 Choosing between petrol and diesel powered engines Jan 26, 2019
- Jan 26, 2019 The cars we liked from the Singapore Motor Show Jan 26, 2019
- Jan 23, 2019 4 Benefits of Tire Rotation and how often you should do it Jan 23, 2019
- Jan 19, 2019 3 Wedding Decor Ideas and Themes in Singapore Jan 19, 2019
- Jan 14, 2019 Airport Transfers – What they are and how to get one Jan 14, 2019
- Jan 11, 2019 Audi - Brand Overview - The brand with 4 rings Jan 11, 2019
- Jan 11, 2019 Cost of weddings has increased in Singapore Jan 11, 2019
- Jan 8, 2019 Budget Wedding Car Rentals in Singapore – 8 cars below SGD$400 for 5 hours Jan 8, 2019
- Dec 31, 2018 Porsche - Brand Overview - There is no substitute Dec 31, 2018
- Dec 26, 2018 BMW - Brand Overview - The Ultimate Driving Machine Dec 26, 2018